Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I Did It!

I really quit. And it was not at all amazing like I thought it would be. I started to cry. Yes, I am that LAME. So here’s what happened:

I walked into his office, letter in hand. I gave it to my boss, and he said, “Why am I not surprised? So does this mean you got your teaching job?”

Enter tears. “No. I don’t have a job.” (What my boss heard was “I’M CRAZY! I’M QUITTING WITHOUT A NEW JOB AND HERE! PLEASE TAKE MY STEADY PAYCHECK BACK! I LAUGH IN THE FACE OF DANGER! [Or maybe that’s what I heard.])

Actually, he was very kind to me. He offered me tissue, but then he realized he was out. (Thought that counts, right?) I explained my somewhat solid plans for the future, which include grad school and substituting. We briefly talked about my time here; he apologized for not providing me with a more solid and challenging position and he wished me the best for the future. I feel relieved to be leaving my job, but there are a lot of people that I’m actually going to miss. Sure, I have lots of great stories about incompetent people, but this is an office of 130 – there are also plenty of fantastic people.

A lot of my co-workers see me as their bartender. I constantly let people lean on my desk to gripe about the latest issue, personal or professional. I always offer to pour them a drink, and then I slide them some candy. But on my last week? I’ve decided to bring in the booze. Give the people what they deserve. You need a pick-me-up in your coffee or coke? Come see the bartender. She’s only here for a few more days.

(I have more to say later. Right now, though, I am not in a proper emotional state to be discussing any more of my future. I am hungry.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for you! I never thought I would be emotional when I quit my stupid Web producer job at the Trib, but I cried my eyes out. And I hugged everyone and their sister on my last day.

My friend Jen found that little puppy at the end of her driveway! Can you believe it? She has nicknamed the puppy Meatball since it sort of looks like one. Meatball is going to a no-kill shelter end of next week, unless, of course, I find a home for her. Hopefully right nearby so I can play with her all the time.

Harry Potter tonight! Can't wait to talk to you about i!

Randy said...

Jonathon freaked out the other night when he got home from his trip. Mom had bought some new dishes and he explained to her, in an almost hysterical manner, how much he hated change. If he only knew what real change is. Good or bad, the fact that you spent more time at that office and with the people that worked there than any others(probably even more than your husband at some times)is going to leave a void for a while. Having been down the road before I can attest to the fact that the void gets smaller in about 3 weeks. I feel your pain, but am very proud of you for "not settling for the path of least resistance." Go into this wide eyed with excitement(I can still see your eyes glistening when I held you up to look at your first lighted christmas tree) and may your happiness increase with this new endeaver.

Love
Dad

Amber said...

Wahoo! We ate a bowl of blue bell for you today in celebration of your ...

more later -- I'm not in an emotional state to discuss this any further. I'm hungry, too, again.

I'm proud of you, sweet friend.

Seth wants to know if you will be using this blog as a resume builder.

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Your dad's comment was so sweet, and it reminds me exactly of something my dad would write to me!

I'm excited for you and all that you have to look forward to!

Chelsea Hudson said...

yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let the party begin!

Unknown said...

OK, I chose to email her. I basically said, hey, remember how I mentioned bringing someone and is that OK? If not, I completely understand the expenses you are dealing with and will be delighted to attend either way and I'm just excited that I get to go at all blah blah blah.

Thanks for your bride-in-the-know tip!