Thursday, June 7, 2007

Won't you be my neighbor?

When I was in kindergarten, I had a super-cool way of meeting friends. I still remember the first time I used my friend-making system. We were getting ready to do our round robin stations as a class. I scoped out a girl that was pretty and had nice shoes (some qualities in a friend never change, do they?). After choosing the soon-to-be friend, I went and stood near her, but I didn’t say or do anything else. I waited. And then when she looked at me, I looked back with a confused do I know you? kind of look. You know, tilted head, eyebrows scrunched, lips twitched to the side. And then, here’s how it all goes down: I said, “Um, I can’t remember. Are we friends?” Hell, yeah.

And we became friends. Because when opportunity knocks, mama always said to seize it.

Twenty years later, I’m not sure I could get away with the same method, as foolproof as it once was. I guess you could say people are smarter or something. We finally met our new neighbors across the street. Matt and I think we’re a great match (obviously), but really I just want to know if they’re on board with us or not. Are they willing to play games, eat our ice cream, and let me borrow sugar or not? Let’s just get to the point – are we friends?

It’s not that we’re desperate for friends; we’re not. I just really hate that ambiguous time in a relationship when you have no idea what kind of relationship you’re in. And maybe I’m just really excited about our neighbors. Because neighbor friends are some of the best, don’t you think?


Maybe we'll even rally a game of Hide & Seek with the other neighbors. Excluding our elderly neighbor -- she can just bake us a pie.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nic, yesterday I made a strawberry rhubarb pie. I wished you were nearby to eat some!

Love the new blog.

Amber said...

I know! If your neighbors start having other people over, you should find out who they are and then show up in their circle, too. Then, you would be in your neighbor's circle twice.

Dharma and Greg, anyone?

I miss you so big and bad. Of course your neighbors love you. Have you offered them icecream yet? I mean seriously, if you don't know your bond after that ....

if you don't know me by now, you wil never never never know me...

I don't know.

Anonymous said...

I am so, so happy that you are writing, your funny.

Love, your biggest fan.

Mom

Chelsea Hudson said...

I am so happy you are writing too.... my roomy the writer rockstar! miss you and so glad you aren't abandoning the blogging world I now live in. thank you. thank you.