Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Good Attitude Initiative

I’m not sure I slept last night. I know I went to bed, but this morning I feel like I was up all night cramming for a final or something. Coffee didn’t help. Of course, I’m sure it doesn’t work as well when I’m slurping it down while curling my hair and getting dressed because I refused to get out of bed on time. Coffee is meant to be enjoyed, right?

I had a pretty lousy day at work yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. But I went into work yesterday with every intention of having a good attitude. This meant no complaining, griping, rolling of the eyes, cussing under my breath, and using sarcasm as my only tone. I even went so far as to ask Jesus for help. And yes, I was sincere. I really did want to change my attitude. But by 12:45, I gave up. I couldn’t take it anymore, and frankly, I’m proud I made it to lunchtime.

I realized I used my sarcastic jokes and witty complaints to get me through the day. And when I tried to have a good freaking attitude, I depressed myself. So at 4:55, I left (my phone is 5 minutes fast, so I go by its time), got on the train, called Matt and said, “I need pizza and beer.” It helped. And then when we got home, we played some air band -- nothing makes me feel better than pretend-rocking to “Cold Hard Bitch.”

The evening turned into a game night with Bryan and Laura, and I didn’t crawl into bed until 11:30. I can handle staying up late, and I realize 11:30 isn’t that late, but I was exhausted after my failed attempt at The Good Attitude Initiative.

And now it’s another day, and I’m barely awake, but at least I have my sarcasm to keep me going. Screw The Good Attitude Initiative.

But you know what? Today is Matt’s birthday, which means it is a happy day. Because if he had not been born 26 years ago, I would have never had such an amazing lead guitarist for my air band.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nic! I'm excited to read your stories again, they always amuse me. :)

Unknown said...

Sarcasm helps, I think. Because it shows you can laugh at yourself and your situation.

I hope you used your inflatable red white and blue guitar. heheh. AWESOME.

Chelsea Hudson said...

happy birthday Matt! and, i love you r sarcasm.. makes me feel all warm and cosy.... reminds me of the good ol days in Mayfield. keep up the sarcasm. I really miss you. don't you want to come to texas again sometime between august 4-21??? or better yet, to berlin? i think you need a long trip across the big pond. i really do. there is lots of pizza and beer here.. it flows like milk and honey.

Bryan Laing said...

We kept you up late! Big whoop.