Monday, June 11, 2007

Reason Number ONE BILLON Why I Need A New Gig

A very important person in the office asked me to proof a letter he wrote. Now this person has notoriously awful grammar. I understand grammar mistakes happen – you make them, I make them, we all make them. Sometimes I even make them on purpose. Like fragmenting a sentence to convey a thought. But people – you’re not supposed to embrace grammar errors.

This person embraces all things wrong.

First sentence of the letter: Welcome back, hope your vacation was enjoyed and relaxing.

And my take: Welcome back -- I hope your vacation was enjoyable and relaxing.

I know there’s some passive voice going on that probably should have been fixed, but I know this person would have disagreed with me, demanded a change, and hit me with a chair. I had to be super conservative in my mark-ups. I mean, I am at the very bottom of the totem pole here. Beneath the surface of it, in fact. (I know that’s a fragment. It’s my style, yo.) I’ve lost my point.

Oh. So this very important person read the first sentence with my changes and said:

“You changed enjoyed. I liked it better enjoyed.”

And I just stood there. No response. Waiting for my cue to get the hell out of the office.

Later, I told my co-worker this story. I said, "When I'm boss, I'm going to demand all my employees use proper grammar." And then I realized I just described being an English teacher.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! harhar. Is it Roger again? bahahahaha.

I love you.

Chelsea Hudson said...

i am just so glad you blog again. not much to say... you are an amazing writer. i love your stories, however short, sarcastic, or emotional they may be. Write, write write I say. I must drive you insane with my grammar and spelling issues, but mostly because I don't even care enough to check for and correct them. i am glad you still love me though. miss you!

Anonymous said...

I saw! Thanks lady. I listed you too.

I've been wondering if you've been blogging at all. I was pleased to see it confirmed this morning.

Anonymous said...

I put my comment in the wrong place, sorry, this machine still confuses me. Go to the 3rd one for my comments on the New Gig.
dad