Monday, September 10, 2007

3 Year Olds

For a year now, I've worked with the 2 year olds at our church, but recently I moved to the 3s room. The 2s were fun, but the 3 year olds? They know how to tell some kick-ass stories and do some hilarious things. Yesterday was my time to be with the kids, and it was so refreshing to remove myself from the stupid adult world that's been making me all mopey and weepy. Instead, I played with the legos and drew a picture of my mom and ate some animal crackers while making monkey noises. My only complaint is that I couldn't get in the moon walk (or bounce house, whatever you called it as a kiddo) -- apparently I'm too big or something.

During circle time, we discussed that God made today to which a child shouted out: "God also made the alligators!" God made today and alligators. Got it?

After our very brief discussion, we sang This is the day, this is the day, that the Lord has made, that the Lord has made... When we were done, we asked the kids if there were any other songs they'd like to sing. Well, one little boy clearly must have all the right answers so he suggested Jesus Loves Me. After singing that song, we asked if there were any other songs they'd like to sing.

"Jingle Bells!"
"Yeah, Jingle Bells!"

The other teachers and I looked at each other and didn't really have a good reason not to sing. So in a very hot gym on a very hot day, ten little children and 3 big people sang Jingle Bells.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this story. Kids are awesome.

Unknown said...

You crack me up....... :)

Chelsea Hudson said...

i miss you. hey if we move to phoenix... i am coming to see you. period.

Anonymous said...

See, these are the kids of stories that make people think children are cute & unpredictable & say the darndest things, etc. But, I read this and cannot help thinking, 'What the hell is wrong with this kid? It's not Christmastime. He's gonna be trouble.'

And this is why I was never a good babysitter. Or a good child.

I think of you often!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you posting again, Dad was telling us this story last night, us being myself and Bill Forbes who said Nicole hasn't updated in a while and I said I know, I would tell you but glad to see I didn't have to. Love you and wish I could see you, I miss you so.

Scott said...

Next week make sure you tell the children that they tell kick-ass stories.

Unknown said...

So, Nicole, I wanted to let you know that I bought an eco-friendly wallet from a company based in Portland, OR! Thanks to you:) Check them out, and tell other people about them:

http://www.dbclay.com

Anonymous said...

Nicole,

This story is great. Maybe I need to spend more time with little children! Thanks so much for your words of compassion that you posted on my blog. I appreciate them immensely. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this. I hope things get better for you! On a side note, I have a new blog: www.girlfromthenorthcountry.wordpress.com. I added you to my blogroll -- hope you don't mind!
Talk to you later,
Ann

Unknown said...

Well, it was Rev. 21 about the new heaven and the new earth, which IS pretty moving. Oh, well. I liked the poem I picked!