Monday, November 19, 2007

How a 6th Grader Apologizes

I've been subbing now for over a month and, surprisingly, I love it. I was always so afraid to be a sub, but it's not nearly as bad as I expected and it's a great chance to sharpen my classroom management skills. Also, I'm trying to befriend every secretary at every high school so she can keep me posted on any job openings (because this district doesn't actually advertise open positions). Overall, it's a pretty great job and I am much happier than I ever was at my previous employer.

I only sub for high school and middle school, which seems like I'd have plenty of horror stories to share. Honestly, though, the students have all been pretty good, and as long as they're not loud enough for the teacher next door to come over, I'm okay. So far, I've only had to leave two negative notes for the teacher. To me, that's awesome.

Last week, I subbed for a middle school art class. Most of the classes were respectful and easy-going. But there was one class of 6th graders that was unbelievably terrible. I exhausted all levels of punishment left by the teacher and still they continued being awful human beings. By the end of the period, I hated who I was: a cold, mean bitch. I just wanted them gone. And after they left, I wrote a letter to the teacher.

This morning, I checked the mail and received a package from the middle school. I opened it and found 30 handwritten letters of apology to me. Here's some of the best:

"Ms. W always says, "Do they lock you up and make you stay absolutely silent all day long?" The answer is no, we just are apparently disrespectful of subs and teachers during this part of the day."

"I conclude that I am sorry for our bad behaviour and hope that you don't end up quit teaching because of us."

"I would like to apologize on behalf of my classmates. I know it must have been very tiring for you... p.s. I feel I was on task most of the time."

"I'm sorry for my classmates about their rude behavior. I hope that they will be more respectful next time you sub. I was sitting in the front left table. I was the one with blond hair and helped you with the class. Hopefully my classmates will apologize with respect."

"I know that I was talking a little bit and I am very sorry. It's just because I knew all that stuff on clay."

"I'm not sorry for not talking. I am sorry for all my classmates. I was on task."

Now that's awesome.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This actually made me laugh out loud - it is so great that they sent you apologies! However, these are some really bad apologies. Mostly it sounds like they are apologizing for the bad students in the class. :)

Anonymous said...

Love these! Love you! Love exclamation points!

Anonymous said...

Can you really call it an apology if it isn't accompanied by a pint of Blue Bell.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're teaching! Yay for you! Some of the funniest notes I've ever gotten came from my students when I interned. My ninth graders gave me especially gushy notes about how I was their best friend and they loved me and wanted me to keep in touch. I'm sure they forgot my name the next week :). I hope it keeps going well for you!

Unknown said...

I love this story so much. How awesome. I agree with Bill, though. They should have at least included a shipment of Blue Bell cake batter ice cream.

Anonymous said...

I nominated you for an award. Visit my blog for details:
girlfromthenorthcountry.wordpress.com

brandy said...

Ahhh I LOVE this! I'm glad you are enjoying subbing. I love it most days- when the kids are great you leave the school with an awesome feeling, when the kids are bad you feel awesome you don't have to come back the next day.