Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I Guess I'm Also Wearing Heavy Boots

This morning it was rainy and gray. Yesterday our grass was green. Today, it is dotted with yellow leaves dropped by the wind. Portland has put on its rain boots, and I imagine they'll stay put for a long while.

This morning before I left my house, I put on my rain boots. I grabbed my rain coat. I stood at the back door as I let the dog run out and run back in. I followed behind her in the kitchen, wiping up her paw tracks with a kitchen towel. The rain doesn't bother me today. Today, it reminds me I know what to do. These fall days are so familiar to me. With so many things changing, familiarity can be so comforting.

After four years, I'm getting ready to take off my polka-dot rain boots and hang up my simple rain coat, the one I also wore in Northern Ireland. I'm about to say good-bye to dear friends, pass on the keys to our first home, and leave a church I love. I'm scared, excited, heartbroken, and hopeful.

So in all the chaos and change right now, it's good to know I can at least count on the rain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait... what is happening?
(oh it's lauren w btw, if you don't have my new blog)

Kathleen said...

I'll be thinking about you and praying! It'll be good. :)

Nic said...

Are you moving??? Jason is in Portland NOW, might come to your church Sunday, he wasn't sure of his plans yet. He's there for seminary. I need to get on your face book and see if you have more details of all these changes in your life. Hang in there. I KNOW change . . . it's so exciitng and SO emotional!