Monday, September 14, 2009

Lessons in Prayer

The beautiful thing that happens when I teach preschoolers is that they end up teaching me. A few months back, I was in the preschool room, which is really a section of a basketball gym, making my teacher rounds by playing trains, drawing flowers, putting a baby doll to sleep. I walked over to the reading corner where two of my favorite girls were sitting. The first girl, Pam, said she didn’t feel well. I thought to myself she probably just wanted her mom, but before I could say anything Bellie jumped in first.

“Pammy, can I pray for you?” And after Pam said yes, Bellie scrunched her eyes shut, rested her hands palms up on her knees, and asked Jesus to help Pam feel better.

And of course, I started crying. I don’t remember the last time I was humbled so fast.

When was the last time my first response to an ache, a problem, a need was to pray? Has it ever been?

So in the midst of all my unknowns right now, I think of gorgeous Bellie. Her reaction to a friend wasn’t to worry or to feel apathetic or to even be afraid. It was to pray. I want to pray. Just like a little girl with big faith.

2 comments:

chelsea said...

i know. i KNOW. i am tearing up right now because i miss that. i miss the child like faith. since when did we have to buy into all the rationalizing, questioning, "testing", debating, and wondering when it comes to faith? i remember the last time i actually was consistently walking with that kind of faith. it was about 15 years ago. now that is something to cry about.

Unknown said...

Love that! Don't even remember the last time that was my prayer life. Sigh.