Thursday, July 9, 2009

And I Have Another Pair At Home!

Today I met my sweet friend Jessica for lunch. It was kind of a last minute thing, so I scrambled around to get ready and get out the door. Because Matt is out of town, I’ve accumulated a few pairs of flip-flops next to the couch. I got dressed in my bedroom, did a once-over in the mirror, slipped on my shoes in the other room, and scooted out the door.

I was about five minutes away from the restaurant when it dawned on me that I didn’t actually pay attention to my shoes. I thought, "now wouldn’t that be something if…" I looked to my left and saw my brown leather flip-flop with gold trim. I looked to my right and saw my black leather flip-flop with a flower on top.

Well, DAMN.

My pair of shoes didn't match. I’ve always wondered how the hell people do this sort of thing, and looky-here. I managed to pull it off without explanation. I ran through a list of scenarios that could have made it worse: could’ve worn my skinny jeans, could’ve worn a dress, could’ve worn a flat and a flop. Thankfully, I was wearing a pair of jeans that, if I walk carefully, I can hide most of my feet and show off just my toes.

(Also, this is the same pair of jeans I bought with Amber, who, after putting them on and realizing they’re a bit snug, I called to ask if we bought them last year or the year before. She said last year. DOUBLE DAMN!)

Anyway, I walked into the restaurant and slid into my chair without anyone noticing. I confessed to Jess the truth, and as she looked under the table we shared a good, long laugh.

Honestly, I think my brain is turning to mush. I have a lot of free time on my hands; I clean, I run errands, I cook, I read… and there’s still a lot of free time. It’s not too difficult managing a two-person household. So, uh… suggestions? How can I keep my brain from sloshing out my ears? Suggest things to blog, hobbies to pick up, places to go, things to do. My brain clearly needs a kick-start. HELP.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This makes me so happy!

Kathleen said...

If I had that kind of free time, I would read a TON, catch up on all the TV series' that I've been meaning to watch, completely decorate my house, try to exercise almost every day, walk my dogs more, teach at youth group often, and get really good at napping.

I hope you know that everyone LOVES it when you blog (even my dad mentions it every time you write something!) so you should definitely do that more often. :) I would enjoy reading about your daily life, what you're reading, and what you think about...anything!

Scott said...

I also support reading excessively (and storing that information in a database for the sake of posterity. I'll teach you how!)

ahem... or, if you really want a brain challenge, what about learning a new language? That's one of those things that I always think I want to do and never get around to.

Unknown said...

House Shop.

Amanda Shebiel said...

Isn't retirement the best?! I'd be happy to give you some lessons on how to keep busy - Let's have lunch, and I'll share the tips and tricks of the trade I've learned over the last couple months.

Amber@theRunaMuck said...

Forget about it, especially if you plan to have children. I know this is the why-take-a-bath-if you're-just-going-to-get-dirty-again tactic, but seriously - worry about it later.

If this doesn't make any sense, you know why.

Nic said...

how about make a visit to my house . . . you won't even remember what the word bored means! HA!!! Blog more, I love reading your stuff . . . or how about digitally scrapbooking your Italy pics, they were AMAZING pics! I can hook you up with a great online program I use! Or how about organizign your shoes in your spare time so you can match, ha!!

chris said...

Yes I do love when you blog. I plan to make furniture out of wood when I retire, maybe you could take up a work with your hands kind of hobby.